Subject: Re: 'M'ing it and 'R'ing it?
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 20:11:06 -0500

At 02:39 PM 11/16/97 -0500, you wrote:
>My question for the day - and it is sincere - is what do you that shoot 'M's
>get on film that I do not get on my R?
>
>Shooting wide with the R is a bit of a problem for focusing. As my eyes get
>weaker, I debate the use of going to an M with a rangefinder. Is this what
>makes an M user and M user for life? Or is it image quality? Or weight?

Pete:  The M's and R's are both great systems but for totally different
uses.  The M's are for quiet, unobtrusive photography when don't want call
attention to yourself.  They are easier to hand-hold at slow shutter speeds
and are great for low-light situations.  They are, of course, smaller and
easier to carry.  The R's are for things you can't do with the M's -
close-ups and telephoto shots.  I would imagine if I used flash - which I
don't, I would use the R - which I don't have (yet).  If you borrow or rent
an M and use it for awhile, you'll be hooked for life.  If there is any way
you can afford it, go for both!  Have fun!   Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
<http://www.photogs.com/manley/index.html>
<http://www.aperture-photo.com/site/reportage/manley/manleyframeset.html>
<http://www.onlineartistleague.com/manleyt/portfoli.htm>