Subject: 'M'ing it and 'R'ing it?
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 21:34:49 -0500

Pete wrote :

<< is what do you that shoot 'M's get on film that I do not get on my R?>

Pete,

I could be nuked, boiled in oil, staked to an ant hill, fed to the
crocodiles and for the finale, tarred and feathered for the following! :)

Absolutely Nothing!!!!!!! :)

It is merely two different tools (bodies) carrying the worlds finest glass!

One model carries a mystique of decades, the Leica Range finder in many
forms and a very large psychological factor of allowing the photographer to
 believe they can do great things.  While the R camera version has yet to
develop the same mystique, even though it wears basically the same quality
of glass and in some cases better. (longer)

<<<Shooting wide with the R is a bit of a problem for focusing.>>>>>

Let me help you with this very quickly.  When you use a W/A on the R camera
and in particular low light. Once you have determined what you want to
shoot,  turn the focusing ring to the closest point of focus with the
camera away from your eye. Then begin to focus from there, rather than
starting at the infinity point.. Doing this will make the image you want in
focus just "POP" into focus on the screen.

Also, let me suggest you change to the "All matt" ground glass screen for a
more efficient focusing capability. That is unless you absolutely love the
standard R8 screen that comes with the split image distracting centre spot.

<<Is this what makes an M user and M user for life? Or is it image quality?
Or weight?>>>>>

All of the above and then some!!!!

Sorry to add to your confusion, but the choice comes down to many factors.
Each member on the LUG could give a different answer why they "love their
Leica range finder camera" as in many cases it is a feeling more than a
common sense real tangible thing.

With some of us it is a combination of myth and practicality as
professionals. Simply because we generally see our Leica camera, M&R's as
tools of the trade. Where others it is all heart, soul, mind and passion.
:)

I'm sure you'll receive many varied answers to your question.:)

ted