Subject: Retrofocus: Zeiss or Angenieux ?
From: Lucien_vD <Lucien_vD@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 16:12:13 -0500

Marc wrote:

>Angenieux didn't begin playing with retrofocus designs until the
>mid-1950's, though they then made some wonderfully fine lenses.

In his booklet   (Angenieux Lenses- Ed. Foto-Saga ISBN 2-906840-11-4)
Patrice-Herve Pont (a French) wrote:

"Pierre Angenieux solves the problem: Answering the demands of =

reflex camera manufacturers, Pierre Angenieux designed a =

revolutionary lens ......
Then world opticians  would begin to offer, as Angenieux first did,
wide angle lenses - bearing a strong similarity to the Retrofocus!
The very first Retrofocus (35mm Type R 1) was marketed in 1950....

I think that P-H Pont don't have access to the same sources
as you have.
BTW in french photo magazines, many seem to share his opinion.

Lucien
BELGIUM