Subject: Re: Retrofocus: Zeiss or Angenieux ?
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 17:12:27 -0500

Sure, Lucien, I'm aware that Angenieux is normally given the credit for
developing the retrofocus design.  But, then, Maksutov got the credit for
the Bouwers design, as well.  A lot depends on whether you are speaking of
'development' or 'production'.

The first Distagon design appears in production in 1954 with the 5.6/60 for
the Hassie 1600F/1000F;  I believe there were some CZJ Flektogon designs
two or three years before this for the Contax D family.  But Angenieux had
the first PRODUCTION retrofocus design with the 2.5/35 in 1950.

In other words, the work done by the Zeiss guys is technically brilliant,
but Angenieux got his in production first.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!