Subject: Boring Zeiss Stuff
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 19:33:46 -0500

At 12:26 AM 11/18/97 +0100, Alf Breull, sly and crafty gent, wrote:
>Is your statement true for the 2.8/85 Jupiter 9 also, which is
>described in Marc's book ?
>
>And, sorry, I'm unfamiliar with Zeiss stuff: which 4/35 are you
>speaking of - is it a Distagon or a Flektogon?

The 2/85 (NOT 2.8!) Jupiter-9 is a clone of the Prewar CZJ Sonnar for
Contax RF.  The later Contarex lens, made by Carl Zeiss at Oberkochen, was
mildly refigured.  The earlier lens is a stunningly good performer;  the
later lens is even better.

The "Distagon" and "Flektogon" names are applied to the same formula.  When
the Zeisses divided, Western courts awarded the rights to the Carl Zeiss
trademarks to the West German guys, and so Oberkochen got "Sonnar",
"Planar", "Distagon", and "Tessar" to play with.  The result was that the
East German Carl Zeiss Jena folks used "S" and "T" for the Sonnar and
Tessar and invented the new names, "Biometar" and "Flektogon" for the
refigured Planar and the Distagon.

In any event, the Contarex lens is a 4/35 Carl Zeiss Distagon.  Jena never
made any lenses to my knowledge in the Contarex mount.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!