Subject: International Prices
From: jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk (Jeremy Kime)
Date: 18 Nov 97 12:22:00 GMT

Marvin wrote:
  >>> Don bought my LTM 28/5.6 Summaron from me as the foreign market
  is still strong for Leitz collectibles and the price of Leica in Germany
is
  coming close to the Japanese prices.  This fact has already been noted
  by our European LUGgers.  If it wasn't for the high cost of VAT & duties
  imposed by those countries, the U.S. would still be the least expensive
  country to buy Leica.
   I didn't attend the hugh San Jose camera show but Steve Gandy did and
  told me that it was disappointing due to the lack of the usual Japanese
  buyers,  which is probably due to their financial depression.
  Marvin Moss

  In corresponding with a Japanese guy he mentioned that the new price of an
M6 in Japan was 1000GBP, around $1500 USD.

He wrote,
> I feel it so strange,old Leicas are expensive in Japan,the latest models
>are less expensive.
>Last year I bought used M6 with Sumicron 50mmF2 colaposible at 720UKP!!
>(It was a real bargain price!!)

So I suppose it all depends on what we're looking for as to where the prices
are cheapest.

Jem K