Subject: Re: Leica in Photo Techniques Mag.
From: Jack Gottlob <sam@injersey.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 07:26:12 -0800

Dave Munroe wrote:

> > There is another article on their pick of the 25 best cameras made today.
> > The M6 is #6.
>
> I don't think they intended the numbers to be a relative ranking, they
> just came up with what they thought were the best 25 and tossed 'em all
> in (after all, the ELPH is #21 and the Pentax 67 is #22).  I also recall
> that they "took turns" with a manufacturer's different models from year
> to year.
>
> > They tell all about the camera, but don't mention the best
> > feature - the lenses.
>
> They did, however, write one of the best tributes to a Leica I've ever
> read, talking about the simplicity, directness, and unambiguity of its
> controls; how the camera doesn't attempt to think for you or get in
> the way, and so on.  Those two paragraphs alone were worth the price of
> the magazine; check it out.
>
> I'd never seen this magazine before and, after looking at the types of
> articles it has,  I like it quite a bit.  I do wish their name (PHOTO
> Techniques) wasn't so close to the British publication (Photo Technique)
> because I'll bet it causes confusion among stores in ordering it.
>
> -DaveWhen I first started to get the magazine it was named Darkroom and
creative camera Techniques.  Att the time there was another called
Darkroom.  There was a name change about 2 (?) years ago, and almost
immediately afterwards the other magazine stopped publishing.  I consider
Photo Techniques to be one of the very few really good magazines on the
market.  Their articles are sophisticated and informative unkike some of
the others which are real dreck.  Also, if you haven't seen View Camera I
suggest that you pick up a copy at Barnes and Noble.  Devoted mainly to
fine art photography,  I think that it would be interesting to anyone who
shoots b&w.  Phil Simmons, the magazine publisher, recently came out with
another magazine devoted to the small format shooter.  I saw it at the
Javitz show, .  Unfortunately, it hasn't hit the bookstores here yet.
(maybe somebody out there can supply the name.)
jack