Subject: Re: Cold Equipment
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 07:07:20 -0800

Grant WILINSKI wrote:

> The other night I foolishly left my camera case containing my M6 and three
> lenses in the car overnight. As the temperature dropped into the high 20"s
> the equipment was quite cold in the morning. I placed the camera and each
> lens into a plastic freezer bag and brought everything into the
> house. Condensation did occur on the bag and not on the equipment.
> Everything seems to be in fine working order.

Several years ago I spent a couple weeks shooting in Hawaii in August
and flew back to San Diego to get more gear and on to Delaware where I
spent the next couple days shooting (for NCR Corp.) in this gigantic
freezer.  Gigantic.  It was six stories high and 1200 feet long and was
the key frozen food distribution center for central eastern US.

The central freezer area is at 20 degree F and most of the workers
worked in shirtsleeves.

I would shoot both in the central freezer and in increasingly warmer
(less cold) areas that surrounded it.  Keeping the gear fog free was a
real experience.  We worked from the outside in.

And at the end of the day I would put gear into Halliburton cases and
walk out into 90-100 degree afternoons.

Donal Philby
San Diego