Subject: Re: scanning
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 07:17:04 -0800

Thomas Kachadurian wrote:

> Dan:
>
> In a few words, not very well. I've been shooting neg film when I'm going
> to scan it on my Super coolscan. Slide are about a 50/50 chance for good
> results. Forget shadow detail.

Tom:

I am feeling same way after scanning a bunch for web page on studio
mate's polaroid sprint scan.  A few, with very open shadows, scan well.
The rest I fight.  When I get some shadow detail, the contrast is gone.
But I am not very experienced.  Yet.  Think it is time for a good book
on the subject.

But a question.  I have been using increasing amounts of Fujji SuperG
100/800 do do available light/darkness stuff and am very impressed.  But
for stock agency need to go to transparency.  I may set up duping system
(I have all the stuff) to convert, but wonder if you have experience
with hi res scans and output to transparency?  That seems the most
controllable way, but they comes the question of a film recorder or
fairly high cost of using a lab.  A drum scan and a LVT get things up in
the $80 a pix, and that's no good for volume stock with no guarantee of
sales.

Donal Philby
San Diego