Subject: Re: M3
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 10:06:00 -0500 (EST)

Hey. I do not have all the M2's (yet) but I am working on it. The DS M3 is a
great camera, but it is not a M2. The main problem with the old DS and the
early SS M3's is the shutter brake. If it is worn it is very difficult and
expensive to replace and if the finders ( and rangefinder patch is dark) a
new finder will cost almost as much as the camera. If you find a clean and
well cared for M3 it is worthwhile picking it up. With the 50/90 combination
it is very good and it allows use of one of the best 135's made, the 135/4
Tele-Elmar. This is one of the best lenses in Leicas line up and sadly
unappreciated and thus very reasonably priced too. On the other M's its
finder is too small and it is difficult to focus, but with a M3 the finder is
almost the same size as the 90mm finder on the other models.
 Regarding M2's, I do have a lot of them ( 12 at the latest count) but none
of them are mint, it you take any  three of them you could probably get
enough vulcanite to cover one completely ( black gaffers tape makes a
wonderful substitute!). I do have a couple of M3's, all SS over 1xxx xxx  and
somewhat used as well as converted to take the Rapidwinder ( looks like a MP
and drives collectors nuts!).
Tom A