Subject: Re: Leica R recommendations
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 17:52:35 -0800

At 11:09 AM 11/21/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Tom D., Eric W. , Ted G., and other R users,
>
>    I have been using Nikon for a while but bought and fell in love with
>Leica after making the
>M6 plunge this summer.  Now I am spoiled with the Leica glass.   I have
>been thinking of adding a Leica R to my stable and have no idea on what
>would be a great kit.  Could you please share your ideas on what would
>be your recomendations on Body and Lens Kit.  I probably can't do it all
>at once but I can dream and start budgeting one piece at a time.  Thanks
>for your help.
>

>Steve

If you buy a used R, buy an R4Sp or later.

A lens kit is a very personal thing.

I started in 1976 with an R3 and 35/2, 60/2.8, and a 135/2.8. Over the few
years after that, I added a 24/2.8, a 90/2, and a 250/4. Since then I have
re-arranged things (sold some stuff, bought some stuff.) I now use 15 24 35
50 100 180 350 35-70 70-180 28PC 35PC. Now I'm contemplating selling the 24
and buying a used 21 and a new version 28. And maybe a used 80.

The moral of the story is that you will always be fiddling with your "kit".

But to start with, I recommend a medium wide (35) a normal (50 or 60) and a
medium tele (90 or 135). Pretty basic. Then you can, as time goes by, add
at both ends, and re-arrange the middle as needed.

Jim