Subject: Aftermarket for Leica M
From: Thomas Kachadurian <kach@freeway.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 22:12:45 -0500

I've tried to get this discusion going on CIS before tha tno one was talking.

All this talk of Ricoh and Konica lenses on the M and Thread mount camera
seems backward to me. I understand that there are limited opportunities for
28mm lenses in thread mount and that's part of the excitment. But why would
you spend $1,200 or more on camera body and then try to save $300 on the
lens that makes the photograph.

I can't understand why someone hasn't made an M body. It's my dream. Nikon,
Canon, even Pentax could build a fine film back for my Leica glass. The
rangefinder would be the tricky part. If the CLE is any indication, the
Leica rangefinder is a true work of art, but if they could get the
rangefinder even close, just think of the posibilites. Matrix metering,
automatic metering, TTL flash with a 250th sync, a quiet built in motorized
film advance, even, dare I wish it, auto bracketing. While the market for a
new rangefinder line might be limited, a new body for all of those lenses
already out there would sell at least a few.

Why hasn't someone tried it?

Tom