Subject: Re: Erwin Puts on 'bokeh'
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 11:09:54 +0100

>I seem to recall the story that Leitz, in the early days, was
>deliberately aiming at a very steep gradient in order to make the
>sharp area appear more sharp than it really was compared to the
>(Zeiss?) competition. Does your analysis imply that this is pure
>mysticism as well? Or do you think it is indeed true, and the very
>origin of the different approach of Japanese lens designers and Solms?
>If the latter is true, Leitz must have been quite successful, in spite
>of subsequent improvements.

Leo,

It is remarkable that we should talk in English (even if we are Dutch (at
least I presume) about Leica.
Well that story is pure myth. I talked at length with Zeiss and Leica
optical designers and they all were quite definite. No such thing.
There are also no important differences between Japanese and German design
philosophy. Again a marketing myth.
Read my report in the current issue of FOTO about the Solms and Oberkochen
discussions.
Greetings
Erwin