Subject: User Report GR-1, re Minox GT
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 23:06:20 -0500 (EST)

Tom,

The GTX has some extra electronics, probably for reading film speeds from a
cassette. But Minox is always improving their classic drawbridge models. I'd
access their Web page, which is available from any search engine, such as
Yahoo, to get the latest update. It's very detailed on specs. I'd opt for the
most manual model available.

Probably the best prices are from mail order outfits. $350 seems too high a
price for a GTX.

As you know, none of the drawbridge models have AF. Focus is by judgment. My
GT focuses down to 3' as marked in meters. I've never had an out of focus
shot. The secret is to preset the focusing ring at about 8' @ f8 for most
fast breaking situations.
That's slightly under 3 meters on the ring. I've found that the Minox is much
faster than an AF once you have this preset down pat. The important thing is
to trust the Minox 35.

It uses a powerful battery that must be in good shape. So watch it like a
hawk. Also, the Minox thrives on use. Don't let it sit around. After 2 years,
change the battery in any case.

That lens is amazing! The GT is also a remarkable existing light camera. Use
it at f2.8 and let its shutter do its stuff. The 2X over-ride will serve you
well. The Minox ISO numbers are conservative on the extra exposure side,
taking advantage of modern films' latitude. There are intermediate settings
if you want to make your own calls on ISO.

I always feel that I'm not disadvantaged by the Minox for incidental work.
[Don't ask me to define 'incidental' because you may be surprised by what it
encompasses.] The Minox classic GT has quality up and down the line.

Bob