Subject: Re: 2.8/19 and R8/Metz fill-flash
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 19:30:44 -0600

At 09:46 AM 11/25/97 +0100, you wrote:

Alf,

Thanks, again, for the kind words.

>Is the football picture the complete pic or a part? Maybe you cut (minor)
>parts on the side/-s to concentrate on the subject?

The sides are cropped off. Mostly on the right. I liked the almost square
composition of this particular picture. It lest the picture play really big
on the page!

>Have the impression, that the 19 mm has/shows more contrast than the
>24 mm, that you handle so nice also (see: swinger.jpg, british.jpg).

You are quite right. This 19mm lens is one of the best wide angle lenses
I've ever used. So it's quite a bit contrastier than the 24 Elmarit. The
only lenses I'd compare it to that I've used are the 35 Summilux R and M
ASPH and that's about it.

I've used the older 28 Elmarit R and 24 Elmarit, and 21mm R, and 35
Summicron R and M, Summilux M. This lens is definitely better than these.
Have yet to try the 15mm and new 28mm Elmarit, 35 Summicron ASPH or any 21
M or 28 M.

I shot with it today, outside. I did get the sun directly in the picture,
and this time there were a few reflections. And there is a teeny-tiny bit
of vignetting in the very extreme corners. Like about 1 mm in the corners.
This lens is amazing.

I also put the Metz 40MZ-3 to the fill-flash test. Shot against the sun in
contrasty light, with the 19. I have to say, the R8 and Metz together are
better than Canon and just as good as Nikon in the fill-flash function.
That is, absolutely superb.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch