Subject: Re: Lug Question on Viso III and 65 lens
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 18:55:26 -0500 (EST)

Richard, I have used a variety of the 65 Elmars. My recommendation is to try
to get a black version. There was a recomputation done to that lens that
makes it better than the chrome version. If you are looking for the Viso, try
to get a Viso 3 and also a Bellows 2 unit. This gives you a very wide range
of macro possibilities. The 65 is strictly Macro ( although with the
focussing mount on it and the R to Viso lens adapter it is usable on a R
camera ( stop down metering). It is not a " super convinient" system to use,
it takes some fiddling with it and it is slower than a regular Makro lens on
a SLR. What it gives you instead is a very flexible approach, you can attach
a variety of lens heads to the Viso and to the bellows. I have used
everything from wide angles ( you are very close to the front element with
those!) and also enlarging lenses, as well as the 65/90/125  and 135
lensheads. The good thing is that once you have the basic kit ( Viso,Bellows,
focussing mount and adapters) you can do virtually everything from
magnification up to 10 times to using lenses like the 125/2,5 Hektor for
regular shooting. I once had to shoot a gold bearing rock sample for a mining
operation. It was to be used for an annual Report cover. The sample of gold
in the rock was less than 1/8" ( 3mm) in length and they wanted it reproduced
on a full page! In the end I used a Viso 3, bellows and extension tubes and a
100/5,6 Focotar-2 enlarging lens. Shot on Ektar-25 it looked spectacular and
could well take the enlargment ratio.
 Talk to the stores in your neighbourhood and also to the advertisers in the
" shutterbug" and also try to find a couple of swap-meets. Viso. bellows and
tubes are readily available, the 65 has become somewhat collectible and range
from $350- $ 650 ( lower for the chrome one, the black 65 carries a premium).
Dont forget the old Hektor 135, plentiful in used form and a very good close
up lens ( not that hot as a userlens on the camera!) and also the 135/4
Tele-Elmar, extremely good lens for that type of work and vastly underpriced
for its quality.
 I still use the Viso 3/Bellows 2 and a variety of lenses for the set-up, but
I also have an old Leocaflex SL Mot with the all time macro champ, the
100/2,8 APO lens.
 But for really close work the Viso/Bellows and a drawer full of tubes,mounts
etc still holds its own.
 Well, as they say." If it isn't good enough, you aren't close enough" and
with the Viso set up you can almost get too close. Brush up on your math,
exposurecompensation is hairy and a pocket calculator is handy for that!
 Tom A