Subject: Re: Different perception with M or R
From: Paul Schliesser <paulsc@eos.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 97 01:41:37 -0400

>The problem is that
>parallax correcting viewfinders don't correct parallax, they merely correct
>the framing for one focus distance! somewhere about a third of the way into
>the picture, on some weeds or something, the framing was perfect. The more
>distant background, in this case the more important part of the scene, was
>very misaligned with the actual exposure.

Nick,

As long as I've been using M cameras, I never really realized this. I've
taken a number of shots over the years where I tried to balance
foreground and background in a particular arrangement, which did not come
off in the finished slide. I understand the normal parallax errors, but
never really thought about the fact that when focused on the foreground,
which will be correctly framed, the background in the same picture will
be framed differently than what you see in the viewfinder, because the
frames have shifted according your where the lens is focused. A few times
I've wacked myself on the side of the head, trying to figure out how I
got the foreground right and missed what I was trying to do with the
background so badly, especially if I was trying to eliminate a
distracting element near the edge of the frame.

Thanks!

- - Paul