Subject: [LUG] Re: Tri-X @ 200
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 20:39:15 -0600

At 10:20 AM 11/29/97 -0500, you wrote:

>I'm an old time B&W shooter and have always kept film development and
>printig very simple,  (KISS)  keep it simple stupid) :) So my suggestions
>may not cut it with some folks.
>
>First of all the "zone system" isn't worth a damn for shooting on 35mm film
>unless every frame is shot identically under the same conditions of light,
>contrast and the many other variables that effect an exposure.

Ted,

It doesn't cut it with me :-) because as Ansel says, the Zone system is
whatever is appropriate for a given format. And for roll film, just use the
N-1 development arrangement, and then use different contrast papers to make
the picture look best. That's the zone system for 35mm.

The Zone system is simply a way to understand sensitometry. It doesn't
require each frame to be handled differently. It just helps one understand
how exposure and development interact on film. Seen in that context, it
works fine with any camera/lens/film/developer combination available.

You, Ted, don't need it because you have a way of working that is fine for
you, years of experience and a great eye.

The zone system is just another way of working. The principles that apply
are universal. You just have to have a sensitometer. :-)

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Seek the wisdom of the ages, but look at the world through the eyes of a
child.

Ron Wild