Subject: Re: [LUG] The latest in Slide Scanners
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 97 18:14:54 -0800

This is something I know a lot about.

Good quality slide scanners are extremely expensive. There are a bunch
of technical reasons for this. Making a scan of a 35mm slide that
is good enough for you not to want to keep the slide requires
top-of-the-line equipment and major skill at using it.

I have extensive experience using the Nikon LS-3510 AF film scanner,
which cost about US$9000 5 years ago. I have used its successor, the
$5000 LS-4500 AF, a little bit. I am an expert photographer, an expert
darkroom technician, and an expert Photoshop user. I find that unless I
stay in practice and do scanning regularly, it takes me a long time to
make a scan that is better than what I can get from sending the same
slide out for a Kodak PhotoCD scan and paying $1.75 per slide. The
Kodak process is very good.

Nikon has just introduced a low-end slide scanner, the LS 1000, whose
list price is US$1799. I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know what you
are giving up for such a low price.

Don't waste your time trying to scan a slide on a flatbed scanner that
cost less than US$4000. You just aren't going to like the results.

Brian Reid