Subject: Re: [Leica] HCB, invisibility, Leica
From: Harrison McClary <hmcclary@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 97 22:36:02 -0000

>   Somehow I think the Leica--or at least my M3--is a sort of Tarnhelm. I
>think carrying it makes the user invisible. I've definitely found that
>people
>act as if they don't see me when I photograph them with the Leica. Even when
>they are staring directly at me, there's no sign at all that they notice
>what's happening. So I think the Leica is a good part of HCB's legendary
>invisibility.

Being invisible as a photographer is more a state of mind than the camera
you are using.  If you are self conscious about being there shooting
photos your sense of discomfort will be apparent to the subject and they
will be uncomfortable with you taking their photo.  I know I have been
"invisible" when shooting with things like a 24 2.8 right in front of the
subject of the photo.  Yes the people see you, but if you act as though
it is perfectly natural for you to be shooting the photos then most of
the time they will ignore you.

Patience is more important than many people think when shooting things as
they are happening.  Waiting for the right moment is the hardest thing
for people to learn.  Sometimes you can wait for an hour for elements to
come together and the moment is there for only 1/1000 of a second, so you
better be ready.

Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto