Subject: [Leica] RE: 35 -350 designed for digital? are you sure??
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 10:16:12 -0500

Eric Welch writes:

>Indeed. The 17-35 and the 35-350 are clearly intended as lenses for
>the DCS series of digital bodies. It's not that they're bad, just not
>as sharp (or expensive) as they would have been if they were designed
>primarily for film. And in the summer, they're the only lenses one
>needs on the front of such a camera...the winter is a different
>matter.

Uh,  correct me if I'm wrong, but the 35-350L came out well  before
Canon had DCS digital cameras on the market.  Pop photography had a
test of the lens in 6/93.  I would be interested to hear the source
that both those lenses were primarily designed for digital cameras as I
find it hard to believe.  The 35-350, as I remember from a Canon tech
rep,  was primarily designed for publication usage where the zoom range
was  more important than super high resolution.  If you look at Canon's
entire pro market, digital has to be a relatively small percentage of
their unit sales.  I use the 17-35 on a very regular basis and I have
no complaints about it.  It's certainly as sharp or sharper than the
other Canon wide zoom I own they "designed for film".   Every
manufacturer has to balance overall quality with final cost to
consumer.  Canon and Nikon compete with each other on that level,
Leica doesn't compete with anyone on that level.  That's why I'm still
using Canon.

No, it's not pick on Eric Day,  yet

Besides, if I'm wrong, I'll be batting 0 for 2 today.

Back to the darkroom.

Duane