Subject: [Leica] Tim Page & Requiem
From: Claes Bjerner <claes.bjerner@pi.se>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 97 18:29:32 -0000

While in Tokyo recently I went to the photo exhibition "Requiem to =
the photographers who died in Vietnam and Indochina".

Those pictures really grabbed me. Not only because many of them were =
taken by old friends of ours but the photographs themselves serve as =
a very painful reminder of a tragedy that too many of us still tend =
to glorify as the ultimate Photographer=B4s War.

Many of the pictures have never been shown before in the free world =
since they were shot by North Vietnamese and VC photographers. =
However, none of those pictures show the real horrors of the war. If =
anything they really tried to glorify the communist efforts. They =
don=B4t show vietnamese soldiers crying in pain or fear or mutilated =
vietnamese bodies. They all seem to have a simple propaganda purpose, =
while all of the western photographs show the true ugly face of that =
particular war.

Horst Faas and Tim Page have done a real great job with this =
exhibition and the book. The japanese version of the book is =
absolutely beautiful. It sells for just US$45. But I=B4ll wait for =
the english version.

Claes