Subject: Re: [Leica] Tim Page & Requiem
From: Claes Bjerner <claes.bjerner@pi.se>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 97 00:11:39 -0000

When I wrote my previous message on this subject I had no idea the =
topic was already being discussed. I=B4d been away and off the =
Luglist for the past three weeks.

Let me now now add something personal on this issue. With the =
"ultimate Photographer=B4s War" I ment to stress the undeniable fact =
that no war in history was ever so accessible for the news media as =
the one in Vietnam. Not before, and most likely, not ever again! =
During my all too short tenure as a combat cameraman in Vietnam it =
was only I myself who set the limits for what to cover. The =
hospitality and generosity of the US Army and Marine Corps was just =
incredible! And keep in mind that I=B4m a Swede. And you all know =
what the Swedish government thought and publicly said at that time =
about the US involvment.

Eventually it was the South Vietnamese authorities that decided to =
through me out at the end of =B472. The rest of the war I spent in =
Cambodia where the US forces never officially were. And there was =
certainly neither any generosity or hospitality shown by the =
Cambodian forces towards us journalists.

Those of us who have covered, or have tried to cover, later US =
military involvments certainly know that we will most likely never =
again get as close to the action as we were allowed in Vietnam. Of =
course, more of us will survive, but will we ever again be able to =
show the real truth about the wars?

Marc James Small wrote:

>Well, I for one, feel a bit aggrieved at the job done by Western
>photo-journalists in Viet-Nam.  The US, for God's sake, was putting men IN
>HARM'S WAY and the photo-journalists, by undermining their efforts, =
stabbed
>them rather dramatically in the back.  It wasn't journalism:  it was =
trash.

With all due respect for Marc=B4s true feelings I can only hope that =
even he one day will come to  realize that what we all the time =
strived for was good honest news reporting. It wasn=B4t trash, thank =
you, it was simply the truth! And that truth brought the boys home, =
right? How many more young Americans do you think should have been =
killed in that dead-end-alley, Marc?

If you really mean what you say why don=B4t you say it to the loved =
ones of those 135 brave and dedicated photographers who were killed =
in Vietnam

Yes, maybe we did stab the US military brass in the back. But I hear =
very few of those praising that war today. It was simply a no-win =
situation. Even without tha media "backstabbing".

Claes