Subject: [Leica] paperless photography
From: Nick Hunter <nhunter1@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 01:21:35 -0500 (EST)

Bob said:

>I wish such books were produced in DVD Rom

Interesting idea Bob, and no doubt DVD will also allow multimedia producers
to use better quality photo reproduction, along with improved video, music,
etc.

I wonder, however, about investing in them for the long term. CDs seem
pretty archival, but do we really know? and what if hardware changes
radically, as it surely will? Recently, the archiving of images on CD was
discussed, and it was said that we need to be prepared to copy the material
from time to time due to deterioration or obsolesence. Copyrighted DVD's
however cannot be duplicated, or so I understand. Before you answer "So
I'll get another one" check out how rapidly most photo books go out of
print.

Then again, how long do books last? I have, and have seen, books from the
50's and earlier which are significantly yellowed. Oh well, live for today.

Nick Hunter