Subject: Re: [Leica] Erratic 1 sec. shutter speed
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 11:12:00 -0500

I use a trick someone taught me twenty years ago when I had a balky Hassy
lens/shutter. He suggested I set it in a warm place- then it was a TV, now
it's the Satellite box! I leave it there overnight, next morning, I exercise
the shutter, and have very good results. Apparently the lubricant hardens
with age, the gentle heat softens it enought that exercising the shutter
moves the lube around or off the spot it was sticking and frees up the
shutter. I did this with a Kodak Retina IIf I got for my shelf collection-
The shutter is working so well now that I took a roll of pictures. I was
surprised at the performance of the old Schneider glass! Compared favourably
with some more modern cameras!