Subject: [Leica] My cheap kit (I wish)
From: 96072121@csunt2.napier.ac.uk
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 17:08:42 +0000

          Being a student, my leica kit has been built up from older
          lenses found around the shops here in Edinburgh. UK prices
          are not cheap compared to US  but I got the lot for ~1050UKP
          which seemed very reasonable, (I could have spent the same
          on a decent M2 and a newer 50/2.

          M4-2 slight ding beside hotshoe otherwise unmarked
          90/4 (1957)
          35/2 (1957)
          50/2 (1957)

          My question concerns first, these optics are old (Is it fate
          I got matching dates from different shops?) but in good
          condition, are there any particular differences (eg
          noticeable on a b&w 8*10) between these and recent optics
          and secondly the 50/2 has a slight mark on the element
          behind the aperture blades which can only be seen if held
          close to a naked bulb. The repairer said it was caused by
          the aperture blades sticking at one point and bending o
          touch the surface, producing the circular, very slightly
          hazy mark. Have any other luggers had this problem and did
          it affect the performance of the lens? The 50/2 has the most
          amazing 'bokeh' with out of focus areas looking almost
          ghostly, like a fine mist is in the air. Finally, does
          anyone have a Noctilux I can borrow for the year...I'm
          having strange dreams about big apertures...or is this a
          symptom of something more serious?

          Andrew

          ######
          hiding behind a tree (it's windy)