Subject: Re: [Leica] Only One Lens
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 1997 15:08:58 -0800

At 03:16 PM 12/8/97 -0500, you wrote:

>     Rick,
>
>     A 75mm lens is not that much different from a 50mm, and a 90mm lens is
>     not that much different from a 75mm, and the increased speed of modern
>     films can compensate somewhat for the lack of a Noctilux.  I therefore
>     see the 35/90 combination as the ideal minimalist M6 kit (or 40/90, as
>     with the lamentably out-of-production CL), perhaps with the 90mm f/2.0
>     standing in for the merely-one-stop-faster 75mm, and with the Noctilux
>     to be added later on if your shooting requirements prove it necessary,
>     which would also be the criteria for prioritizing between the 35 & 90.
>
>     Art Peterson

Rick,

I need to stick my two cents worth in here... wouldn't want to see you get
led astray.

From 35 to 90 is a huge gap. Because the 90 gives such a small viewfinder
frame, and it's so far away from the 35, I believe it wouldn't be used as
much as a 75. Flick through the frames on the M6 and see for yourself. I
personally think the 35/75 combination would get far more use. The 75 is a
dynamite lens. Just ask Tina. My *personal* opinion (and quest) is 21/35/75
and then Noctilux. At some point later on, perhaps a 90 or 135 would be
useful. But not to me. I personally will stick with my R cameras for these
longer focal lengths.

But you know... other people's opinions have no bearing on your
photographic needs. Choose what best suits your photographic style. Only
you know what you will use. Let your minds eye do the selecting.

Jim