Subject: Re: [Leica] My cheap kit (I wish)
From: "usinet.srlond" <srlondon@ibm.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 1997 13:23:45 -0500

>Sorry, there is no known cure for the " large  aperture syndrome" that you
>are suffering from. The Nocti is a great lens, if you like wide open
>apertures
>and minimalist depth-of-field, the 75/1,4 is another champ in that area. It
>will teach you the meaning of  careful focussing as well as build up strength
>as these are heavy lenses to carry around.

As I'm also in the market for a large aperture lens, would the 50mm
Summilux-M (f/1.4) also not fit the bill?  It seems that the used prices
are quite reasonable for late versions of the lens, and according to its
specs, it is quite a bit lighter than the 75mm or Noctilux.  It would
also seem to be hand-holdable at slower shutter speeds than the 75 by
virtue of its shorter focal length.

Does anyone have an opinion about the last pre-aspherical 35mm Summilux
as well?  I have read that the max aperture (1.4) is only for backup due
to the presence of flare in adverse lighting conditions.  Is it usable?
It seems clear that the new ASPH version of the lens performs better at
large apertures, but the prices are stratospheric due to its newness...