Subject: Re: [Leica] filters for M-lenses
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 16:01:19 -0500

This issue is a live one over on the Rollei List from time to time.  B+W is
a Schneider subsidiary, Heliopan is a Zeiss subsidiary.  Both make superb
filters -- I have drawer after drawer, it seems, of Leica, Zeiss, Rollei,
Heliopan, and B+W filters, not to mention H & H gear as well.  All have
superb glass, but here are the distinctions:

Zeiss, Rollei, and older Leitz: 	uncoated for the most part
newer Leitz:	possibly made by B+W but I don't know that for a fact.
Coated, quality, 	expensive
H & H:	quite inexpensive.  Quality filters but most are not 'dyed in the
mass' or coated.
B+W/Heliopan:	wonderful filters, the best I've ever used.  Expensive,
quality gear.  The 	main difference is in the mount, as both use Schott
(Zeiss) glass:  some folks 	LOVE B+W's 'loose' mounts, others hate them.

Most of my newer filters are Heliopan, but I would use B+W without a qualm.

There is also another option:  using Kodak Wratten series filters in a
Series VI or VII mount.  Quality filters but, again, most, if not all, are
uncoated.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!