Subject: Re: [Leica] Hologon Fiters
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 16:49:44 -0800

Marc wrote:

>>The center filters that Zeiss made for the 15mm Hologon
>>camera and Leica mount lens is also not very good, having sharp cutoff at
>>the edges of the center grey part instead of the smooth transition it
>>should.
>
>Well, Zeiss put a LOT of effort in designing these filters precisely for
>the Hologon lens, and they were excruciatingly expensive to manufacture.
>The sharp cutoff was by intention, as that is what the characteristics of
>the lens required.

The lens certainly does not require a sharp cutoff. My slides have a
discernible, sharp change in density in sky areas at the cutoff point. As
stated, the Schneider Center Filters I have used do not do this. Zeiss
screwed up.  (sorry, Marc :-)).

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com