Subject: Re: [Leica] A trip
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 23:44:53 -0800

At 08:57 PM 12/11/97 -0500, ted wrote:

>Art,
>you will receive two or three (dozen) :) suggestions on how to have the
>prints made from members.
>
>However I have for many years had 4X5 internegatives made at a pro lab and
>prints made to 30X40 inches or larger on occaision.
>
>Internegative material these days is superb, but one must deal through a
>pro lab and don't worry about sending to Kodak. If you have a pro-lab near
>by and you can be personally in their door for service it is much easier.
>Otherwise if you are in the USA there will be members who can suggest
>excellent professional labs to deal with by mail.
>
>The 4X5 interneg could run you in the neighbourhood of $10-12.00, however
>it isn't ncessary to go that large for smaller size prints as the internegs
>can be made on 35mm and still get excellent print results up to 8X10.  The
>size and quality of the  print will determine the size of the interneg.  If
>you want prints to give to friends, then a 35mm will do just fine. And with
>excellent colour.
>
>Another option for prints is Cibachrome. I stay away from that process
>simply because if you do not have the correct subject lighting/contrast
>image, the Cibachrome will kill you.
>
>ted

Ted,

You are correct that a "professionally" made interneg (35 or 4x5) will
produce a great C print.

Cibachrome used to be very contrasty. But Ilfochrome now comes in three
contrast grades. The "normal" or contrasty grade, and two grades of less
contrast. It's actually quite dramatic. You can print stuff that would
normally require contrast masks, without any problems. Ilfochrome is a
dynamite product. Go see:

http://www.lightroom.com/

Jim