Subject: Re: Re[2]: [Leica] basic questions
From: Bruce Feldman <feldman@tuj.ac.jp>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 11:17:57 +0900 (JST)

Art,

Like the proverbial "Baker's Dozen" or "One for the pot" I've always been
told to read the meter and then open up half a stop.  Perhaps I should
have mentioned this to Howard.  When I do so on bright sunny days in my
neck of the woods (Bangkok) my meter usually shows 16.5 at 1/250 -- in the
city in most types of environments.  If I were at the beach or in the
midst of a lot of bright, reflective surfaces, sure I'd stop down a bit.
Likewise, if I were shooting into a lot of vegetation I'd open up a bit
more (I read an interview of Bruce Davidson somewhere, talking about his
Central Park book saying that vegetation really soaks up the light; I
think he's right).  Of course all of the above is subject to the acuracy
of my meter.  Howard should probably establish his benchmarks with a meter
he's comfortable with before programming his internal meter.

Thanks for your helpful comments.

Regards,

Bruce Feldman