Subject: Re: [Leica] Cleaning and Preservation Products
From: WILLIAM CALDWELL <sneeker@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 00:15:11 -0500

Snip:
Craig W. Shier wrote:

Is the cover really just PVC?  I've been trying to guess what the real
composition was.  There have been a couple "Gutta Percha" threads so I
assumed the cover was a rubber product.  Someone a long time ago on
this list suggested lemon oil as a protectant/nutrient for it.  Is that
the prime component of Harly's Lemon Magic?

Snip

the M6 Specifications and Technical Data as to the camera body states in
pertinent part:

	"Compact all-metal body, with hinged back, covered with easy-grip
textured PVC."  See, Leica, Handbook of the Leica System 1997 (Ed. May
1997) at 4-8.

The Leica Product Directory, 50th Jahre Edition, Dealer Catalog, as to
the Leica CL states in part:

	"All metal bodywith black anodized aluminum front panel, base and top
cover; balance of back, including side, covered with a black-grained
plastic."

I suspect with a little more research, I could find additional similar
PVC and plastic covering specifications for other standard Leica models.
Remember, however, the commemorative issues of Leica may have leather
coverings which would call for a different treatment.

My response to the second inquiry as to the cleaning product is more
limited.  As Harly's Interior Magic or Lemon Magic is a proprietary
product, I can not readily describe all of its ingredients. It is
described as a mild vinyl wash (apply only Interior Magic, no water to
be used) that contains lemon oil, which leaves a satin non-sticky
surface finish.  I have used it for about ten years on my Porsches'
interior vinyl or PVC surfaces, and on Leica camera PVC body coverings
in the last year.  Remember, however, the commemorative issues of Leica
may have leather coverings which would call for a different treatment.

Bill Caldwell