Subject: Re: [Leica] Coming In From the Cold
From: WILLIAM CALDWELL <sneeker@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 15:39:35 -0500

Snip --

Marc James Small wrote:

Cold weather with mechanical cameras can be a problem.  (Well, it's
actually worse with electrical cameras, as the batteries die and the
camera is thus spurlos versunkt.)  Cool the camera beforehand -- I keep
mine in the car if I'm planning on having it out-and-about.  And warm it
up gradually afterwards ....

Snip --

From Minnesota winter experiences, I have used both a M3 and a CL
outdoors to -30 F.  I have not had an internal lubrication sticking
problem in either camera.  However, if the camera body and lens were to
be used outside for significant periods, it is generally suggested that
they both be winterized.

Before coming indoors into any significant temperature and humidity
changes, a simple tip is to place the camera body and its lens in a
plastic freezer bag and zip it closed so that moisture will not collect
on the body and lens surfaces in the indoor heat.  If the temperature
change is significant wrap the plastic freezer bagged camera in a
blanket so that it will warm slowly.

Bill Caldwell