Subject: Re: [Leica] M and R wide angle lens differences
From: Alfred Breull <puma@hannover.sgh-net.de>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 08:21:11 +0100

Milos,

the judgement on the different M and R lenses show my impression,
resulting from my experiences. It's nothing official, and it's no
test result. Others may have other experiences.

Both 2.8/28 (M and R), that I had, were very sharp till a distance
of 10 meters approximately, but disappointing behind that distance,
my M lens more than my R (and in comparsion to my M SA also, which
showed a more fine grey tone rendition additionally).

I see the effect of unsharpness at infiniy in the current 1.4/35 asph
Summilux also, despite it's extreme sharpness at closer distances.
In my impression, both pre-asph 2/35 M Summicrons are more sharp at
infinity than the current 1.4/35 asph M lens.

Compared to the corresponding Nikkors, the 35 mm M lenses are classes
better, while the 28 mm Nikkor is rather close to the M counterpart.
Again it's my impression, others may have different experiences.

Alf