Subject: Re: [Leica] Focal Length Perspective
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 21:16:33 -0600

At 06:25 PM 12/15/97 -0500, you wrote:

>I'm confused.  I thought that perspective for any lens is the same
>regardless of its focal length.  I thought that the only thing that changes
>is angle of view which allows you to change your working distance which will
>change your perspective.  Right?

Art,

Perspective is a function of the distance from you to the subject and
background. It changes only as you move closer to, or farther away from the
subject. If you shoot a picture from the same distance with a 50 Summicron,
and then with a 180 Elmarit, and then crop the 50mm picture so it has the
same crop as the full frame of the 180, the perspective is identical
between the two pictures.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch