Subject: Re: [Leica] bitten by the SL bug
From: Dave Munroe <dmunroe@vcd.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 14:11:02 -0800

Patrick G. Sobalvarro wrote:

[re: Leicaflex SL]

>     Unfortunately I think this is the first time I've bought a
> camera without having firmly fixed in mind the circumstances
> where I'd use it to make photographs.

Do not resist!  You have been assimilated!

All kidding aside, back when I had a mere 10 cameras (mostly
100% manual, mechanical, Nikons, Leicas, and Hasselblads),
I drew up a little table where I had "assignments" for each
of my cameras.  Now that I've got 14 (bought both an M3 and
a Ricoh GR-1 last month), I don't even bother worrying what
I'm going to use them for.  But I will use them, I hate to
see equipment just sitting, especially expensive cameras that
need regular exercise.

> I just liked it and didn't want someone to buy it because it
> was cheap and then use it to drive nails.  Of course, when you
> start having rescue fantasies about inanimate objects, you know
> you're a candidate for the funny farm.

Yeah, which is why I bought the M3 from Don Chatterton last month:
I didn't want it to end up as a fashion accessory overseas.  So,
now it's got a beautiful 50mm/2 DR Summicron attached and a fresh
load of Ektar 25.

- -Dave
- --
p.s. those interested in a fairly hefty psychological discussion
about personifying possessions might want to check out this web
page:
	http://www.princeton.edu/~kevinc/Academics/ppq.aps.html