Subject: Re: [Leica] P&S Recommendation
From: Dave Munroe <dmunroe@vcd.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 14:25:53 -0800

Jeff Moore wrote:

>> I'm trying to decide between the Minilux and the Contax T2.

> I continue to think that the T2 remains the most physically
> appealing package among the point-and-shoots, even after Nikon,
> Leica and Minolta have taken their best shots at the market
> Kyocera created with the T2...

Needing a camera that was pocketable and that I could take
into dusty, dirty, rough environments, I chose a Ricoh GR-1.

I've heard many glowing reports about how outstanding its
lens is.  The fact that it allows you to set both the aperture
and also exposure compenstation clinched the deal for me.  It's
thin and wide enough to hold comfortably, and the control dials
are much nicer than the micro buttons that are so common on P&S
cameras today.  The tough alloy body should hold up well, too.
As an added bonus, it shows shutter speeds and other indicators
in the viewfinder.

Basically, I needed a replacement for my XA-2.  I looked at
the XA and rangefinder cameras from the 1960s and 1970s, but
was disappointed in how fuzzy their rangefinder rectangle was.
It really made me appreciate how contrasty and bright the
Leica M3 and M6 rangefinder is!

- -Dave