Subject: [Leica] Leica Gallery in NYC Show via the N Train
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 01:42:09 -0500 (EST)

The R train also stops nearby. That's the one I usually take. --Ed Meyers

Ed,

As I recall, the R stops at the same station as the N, Prince Street. I used
the N because it had the station nearest to where I lived in Brooklyn. After
59th St in Brooklyn, each train takes its own route. They stop at the same
stations in Manhattan up to 49 St. Then each again diverges.

I found Manhattan good Leica country, ranging from the Battery to the West
70's; then the Eastside as well, particularly downtown and uptown. For
architecture, I couldn't get by with anything other than my 35mm Summaron. I
found the best time of day to get really interesting shots was an hour before
nightfall. Then the 50mm 1.5 Summarit did very well indeed.

Show windows at night in NYC become other-worldly compositions of reflections
that outdo almost anything possible in PhotoShop. Even Dali would do a
doubletake if he saw them. There color is definitive, but viewfinder work is
critical. The Leica M and fast 50mm lenses come into their own in that
environment. I found KC 200 all I ever needed.

Bob