Subject: Re: [Leica] ???: M3D and David D. Duncan
From: jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk (Jeremy Kime)
Date: 17 Dec 97 09:51:00 GMT

Tom A ( Leo). wrote...
 The famous M3D was a pre-production Leica MP. Duncan had 2 or 3 of these
made
with the M3 finder and the M2 filmcounter and long driveshaft for the film
take up spool as well as the Leicavit MP on them. I have never been able to
figure out if his M3D's had the hardened steel gears in them that the
regular
Leica MP had, or if they had the regular brass gears. David D. Duncan still
has these cameras ( he is a very shrewd business man, not only a
photographer)
and I shudder to think what one of these would bring at a collectors
auction.
Leica also made a similar camera for Alfred Eisenstadt at Life with the
engraving M3E. Ain't Leica Trivia fun!

I'm surprised the price of famous photographers cameras isn't higher. Ian
Berry, the Magnum photographer had his black enamel M2 (+ lens) sold in
Christies last year, it made 2000UKP I believe, and Terence Donovan had his
M6 and 35mm lens sold for only 1350UKP this year, I really should have
bought that and sold my own M6 subsequently. But things happen so fast at an
auction, it's not easily done to start bidding over a thousand pounds on a
camera you hadn't planned to consider...

Jem K