Subject: Re: [Leica] Infinity focus tip
From: Francois Jouve <Francois.Jouve@polytechnique.fr>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 10:52:40 +0100 (MET)

Hi LUGers,

I didn't read all the messages from this thread, but it appear that most
of you prefer focusing their wonderful lens to a finite distance, using
depth of field to get good details at the infinity.

Some time ago, I found on the net a very comprehensive study on the DOF.
You'll find it together with other photographic stuff at

http://fox.nstn.ca/~hmmerk/

The author's thesis (Harold Merklinger) is essentially the opposite:
the only way to get the best definition at infinity (or very faraway) is
always to focus at infinity. Besides, according to him, you can throw away
all your DOF scales and tables. They all are bullshit for modern lenses
and films. He also proposes a good tip to visualize the DOF, independent
of the focal length: look at the diameter of your diaphragm. Then, once
the lens is focused at infinity, you can resolve all details of this size
*at any distance*.

Have a look at it. It's sometimes technical but very interesting.

F.J.