Subject: [Leica] Re: [Lieca]Elmar 2.8/50 Collapsible
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 17:30:05 -0800

- -----Original Message-----
From: Steve Hickel <smhickel@x2.alliance.net>

>I like the small footprint of the lens with it in the body. Makes for an
>easy to carry camera and lens. No other lens currently sold by Leica offers
>that compactness. I learned something about storage in the bag. You mention
>the lens cap coming off, I burned up my battery in two days because as best
>I can figure the shutter was cocked and the way I had the M6 stored must
>have depressed the meter for a long time. The battery was dead after only
>using it a few times.

This is not to denigrate the Elmar or anyone who buys one. It's for my
personal photographic information and needs.

I just went to my local dealer and looked at this lens (New Collapsible
Elmar). It's a nice looking lens but a couple of downside features hit me.
One, the lens shade screws on. With the lens collapsed, and the shade off,
it is difficult to "dig out" the lens from the base. I had to use my finger
nails. Perhaps after it loosens up, it would be easier. This means that
while carrying an M camera with this lens attached, you basically have to
have the lens shade attached. If for no other reason other than to pull out
the lens. I always use a lens shade while taking pictures.

So I set the latest 50mm Summicron next to the Elmar. With the Summicron's
lens shade collapsed, the lens is basically the same size as the collapsed
Elmar with shade attached. And the shade is built-in to the Summicron (like
my R lenses.) The fact that the Elmar's lens shade is separate, and almost
needs to be always attached, leads me to opt for the Summicron. They are
exactly the same price ($795), roughly the same useful size, plus an extra
stop with the Summicron. And everyone knows the 50mm Summicron is a
landmark lens.

Am I missing something?

Please tell me why, other than possible collector status, the Elmar is
better than the Summicron.

Thanks,

Jim