Subject: [Leica] Re: [Lieca] Infinity focus tip
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 18:16:50 -0800

At 05:31 PM 12/18/97 -0800, Jacques Bilinski wrote:

> If the people at the Brooks institute think otherwise it is
>because they are wrong. Focusing beyond infinity just means that the plane
>of focus is ahead of the film plane. Farsighted people routinely focus
>beyond infinity when they are not wearing glasses. There is nothing
>mystical about focusing beyond infinity.

Jacques,

I do not agree. And I have been doing it for a very long time. And I have
tested infinity focus, beyond infinity focus. And backing away from the
infinity stop on WA & MWA lenses puts the maximum in focus information ON
THE FILM, instead of in front of it.

Your statement makes no sense at all. Did you actually read anything that
was said? Logic would say that (in your words) "Focusing beyond infinity
just means that the plane of focus is ahead of the film plane" would render
the FILM PLANE OUT OF FOCUS. Not exactly what we are after here. We are
looking for MAXIMUM focus and dof AT THE FILM PLANE. Not somewhere else.

<<<>There is nothing
>mystical about focusing beyond infinity.>>>

What does this mean? Did anyone mention anything unintelligible? Who, other
than Hawking, would want to SET their focus beyond infinity. Talk about
being back focused! Talk about blurry photographs. Whew! Being able to
focus your long lens beyond infinity simply allows you, a human, to
yo-yo-in the focus on that far far away object (such as the moon) and get
it in critically sharp focus on the film plane. A very very simple concept.

But I am not going to argue with you. I know what works, and I simply
shared it with the LUG. If there is something you have tried, that really
works, and allows you to make sharper photographs, please share it with the
LUG. But the proof of the pudding is in the tasting. I urge you not to make
wild accusations about something unless you have personally exhaustively
tested the theories. And have ended up with pudding that tastes good.

Jim