Subject: [Leica] More blind shooting discussion
From: Cary Conover <leicary@tdi.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 00:55:47 -0500

I agree with adi. I think whoever brought up the inappropriate and vulgar term
(in reference to the "courage" it takes to take "real" pictures) should have
thought twice before sending the post. For crying out loud, there are women on
this list who have to read this crap too.

The extent to which a photographer will shoot blind pictures (or rely on them, I
should say) should by no means be considered a measurement of his or her
courage. FAR more important than camera-handling technique, I think, is
having a sound rapport with a subject. People skills. A technique is a technique.
And when all is said and done, is this technique really anything but a different
way of holding the camera? I think not. In terms of shooting blindly in a
situation, does it really hide the fact that you're more or less an outsider looking
in? Most of the time, we're all just that--outsiders with cameras being allowed
into people's lives.

Like many photographers, I have a strong belief that our presence
"contaminates" (good word, Feldman) situations. Even the best documentary
photographers are never completely ignored. There's always silent
communication between photographer and subject. This is hard to eliminate. I
just can't think of it any other way....shooting without the camera in the
traditional eye position is merely a way of reducing this contamination.
Furthermore, it allows you to view your subject with BOTH eyes wide open if
you're like me and close one while the other is viewing.

Jim Brick said it best:

"I think each photographic situation would have to be evaluated on it's own.
If you want photographs, and would be risking life and limb if you pointed
the camera at someone, seems to me shooting in a clandestine manner is
warranted. If the environment is reasonably benign, then take real pictures."

A technique is a technique. There's a time and a place for all of them.

Cary Conover
Monroe, Michigan