Subject: Re: [Leica] Should I buy IIIf + sumitar 50 f2
From: CapsTeeth <CapsTeeth@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 08:49:59 EST

> Is it worth to buy a IIIf + a sumitar 50 f2? They are in an incredible mint
> condition due to  no use at all. They are selling it to me for 533 $.

                    Sounds like a terrific price for true mint condition, and
it's a great picture-taker although not optically up to the latest lenses of
course.   But if you're going to want to use it rather than just display it,
you need to check 3 things that could be bad (in fact, worse, due to "no
use"):  1) shutter curtains for signs of the rubber peeling/cracking (wind-on
and look thru lensmount); 2)rangefinder brightness and contrast (look from
front thru 2 windows...should be = brightness although one window will be
rather blue in tint); 3) lens for signs of internal haze/clouding (shine
penlight from one end while looking from the other).  Any of these can most
often be rectified but it's very expensive.  On the other hand, a CLA is not
too bad.  Good luck!

Doc