Subject: Re: [Leica] Telephoto Lens
From: CapsTeeth <CapsTeeth@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 16:01:21 EST

> From what I can find out so far(I am trying to decide whether to buy a
>  >Nikon FM2n SLR or a Leica M6 for "nature" photography) the longest lens
>  >that Leica makes for its Rangefinder cameras is 135mm.
>  >
>  >If so then have any of you used other makes of lens, for example 300mm,
>  >for your Leica Rangefinder Cameras?
>  >
>  >I just bought a copy of "The Nature Photographer's Complete Guide to
>  >Professional Field Techniques" by John Shaw to learn about these
>  >matters.   Dale
                              As a devout Leicaphile and also a nature
photographer, my advice is, don't buy either of the above cameras for nature
photography unless by "nature" you mean to exclude wildlife.  For that, take
full advantage of up-to-the-minute technology: motor-drives, TTL fill flash,
and predictive autofocus (Canon EOS or Nikon F5).  These systems will also
function well for landscape and macro work.  This is not to say that any of
the above types of photography are impossible with an FM2 or a Leica-M, just
ever so much more technically difficult.  For someone starting out, where
composition should be the paramount issue, you would very likely find yourself
thoroughly bogged down in and discouraged by having to work around these
technical dilemmas.

Doc