Subject: Re: [Leica] Retrofocus designs
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 10:40:35 -0500

At 10:51 AM 12/19/97 GMT, Jem Kime wrote:
>Angenieux were the first (1950s) series manufacturers of retrofocus designs
>and they made them available for LTM, such as their 35mm lens and later a
>28mm I believe. Quite rare though. Later on (early/mid sixties) Komura also
>made LTM lenses in retrofocus designs, such as their 35/2.5, again, I
>suspect the design was primarily for SLRs and they accomodated them to LTM
>fit.

Well, a few amplifications here.  The retrofocus concept dates from the
1930's at Carl Zeiss Jena -- I suspect Ernst Wandersleb was the progenitor.
 In any event, work on what was to become the Distagon/Flektogon formula
was well underway by the time the Second World War broke out.

Angenieux probably did get his designs in production first, but not by a
long span.  The East Germans began to crank out Flektogons in both MF and
miniature-format lenses within two years of Angenieux's debut, and
Oberkochen was producing the 5.6/60 Distagon for the Hasselblad by the
middle of 1954.

It is strange that Zeiss, normally a bit picky about ensuring that it
receives full credit for its innovations, has allowed the credit for the
retrofocus concept to go elsewhere but, properly, it does belong to them.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!