Subject: Re: [Leica] 35 MM Lens for M6
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 18:30:16 +0000

At 10:40 PM 20/12/97 -0800, you wrote:
>D Khong wrote:
><snip>
>> Your dealer has a point.  If I were allowed only one lens, it would be the
>> 35/2 Summicron.  It is also great for travel and vacation as it is compact
>> and light.
>
>Dan, I am about to buy(new from a local camera store) a 35/2 ASPH that I
>guess(should it matter to me?) is not a Summicron and I guess is maybe a
>Summilux.  I do not know what the differences are.
>
>I do know that there are only two 35mm lens(UMMICRON-M f/2 and a 35mm
>SUMMILUX f/1.4 ASPH) shown in the 96 Leica catalog but on
>leicasource.com there is listed a 35mm/1.4 ASPH a 35mm/2.0 ASPH and
>35mm/2.0 (non-ASPH) are listed.  I am confused.
>
>Are you recommending against the ASPH lens?  And what do the rest of you
>think?  The prices appear to be about the same for all the f/2.0 lens
>and of course about $1000 more for the 1.4 lens so I am not interested
>in that big lens.    Dale
>--
>$  dale-reed@worldnet.att.net   Seattle, Washington U.S.A.  $

To my knowledge, there are three current 35mm M-lenses.  The non-ASPH f2,
the ASPH f2 and the ASPH f1.4.  What I have is the non-ASPH f2 (late 6
element) version and I am immensely pleased with the pics I get.  I was
tempted to trade up to the ASPH f2 version when it first appeared in the
market but after dragging my feet for a while, I forgot all about it.

Dan Khong
Singapore