Subject: Re: [Leica] 35 MM Lens for M6
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 11:53:14 -0600

At 10:32 AM 21/12/97 -0500, you wrote:

>The 2.8/50 Elmar is 2.8, so their designations seem to cross boundries.

>>No need to be confused on this.  Unlike most other lenses, Leica lenses are
>>named according to their maximum aperture, regardless of focal length.
>>
>>f/1.4  summilux
>>f/2.0  summicron
>>f/2.8  elmarit
>>f/4    elmar
>>
>>There are a few older, discontinued lenses in the line with other
>>designations.  (Other LUG members could complete the above list with these,
>>I'm sure. )

Good point about the elmar.  I forgot about this.  While on this point, the
noctilux also has a different max aperture from its predecessor.
   Can someone provide more information about the origins of this
nomenclature for lens designations, and why there are inconsistencies?
  As Marc put it in a recent reply, "foolish consistency is the hobgoblin
of little minds".  Are these names arbitrary, like the 5-letter codes for
various parts, or do they actually MEAN something?
- -GH