Subject: [Leica] Off Topic Binocular Treat
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 1997 10:32:22 -0800

Dear Fellow LUGnuts,

I hope everyone has had a healthy and happy holiday this year.

I just got a new pair of Canon Stabilized 12X36 binoculars.  They are
phenomenal.  Even though I like the optics better in my Leica Ultra 8X50's,
the Canon's stabilized optics are often clearer by eliminating most of the
shake.  Everytime I view with an 8X binocular, I can tell when my heart
beats by observing how the image moves.  Once oyu push the stabilizer
button on the Canon, the shake decreases into a gentle wave motion or stops
entirely.  I tried the 15X stabilized Canon but it wasn't able to cancel
the motion as well as the 12X.  The 10X stabilized Canon's although more
compact didn't represent that big a gain over my Leica binoculars.  I only
paid $899 for them.

I have tried the Zeiss 20X60 mechanically stabilized binoculars.  They are
also tremendous by cost about $4200.

I can't wait to use these for star gazing.  The exit pupil is smaller than
what I'd prefer, but the ability to remove hand shake from my viewing makes
what you see all the most enjoyable.

Happy viewing,

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD